July 23, 2008

Color My World




This is the back of a very rare gem indeed. One of 5 hand signed stained-glass windows by Mr. Tiffany in the world. It can be found with a mate in the chapel on Jekyll Island. When I walked into the chapel, my breath was taken away by the beauty of this window. Truly amazing! I learned that these windows are composed of multiple layers of glass, some a thick as 5 layers, that depends on what saturation and hue the artist is trying to render.... Basically, darker colors have more layers and lighter colors have fewer layers. I was so amazed that this thing of beauty was tucked away down here and sits silently waiting for people to venture into this tiny chapel. Of course we couldn't take pictures inside....

1 comment:

Amy in GA said...

Very, very interesting!